Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Crib Sleeper...

Well, Lucas is a big boy now and he's been testing out his crib this week! Since he started to protest when he's in his swing this week, we were running out of options on where he should sleep during the day. He'd fall asleep in his bouncy seat, but the naps seemed to be getting shorter and shorter. He'd maybe be nearing the end of a sleep cycle (they say a sleep cycle is 90 minutes), and Finn would bark...so, he'd really wake up then! The same was happening in the swing as well. Gone were the 2 hour naps...which was rather sad for us!
Sooooo, we thought, what the heck, why not try out the crib we paid good money for and has just been a decoration in his room! Yesterday was the first time I tried it, and made sure he was in a deep sleep before putting him in. He lasted 35 minutes. I was hoping for longer, but I guess it was better than nothing. Next nap came around and it was Pat's turn to try it out...40 minutes was the result. The last time yesterday, I fed him at 5pm and went to a couple stores while he stayed at home with Pat. He had a small snooze in his bouncy seat, then Pat took him upstairs and had him sleeping in his crib by 7:20...almost 2 1/2 hours since I'd fed him...which is generally when he's hungry again (every 2 1/2 to 3 hours). I came home just as he was putting him into his crib, and we were CERTAIN he wouldn't last long. Well, THREE HOURS LATER...he woke up! WOW, success! (We started swaddling him again too, we had stopped, but started again, and it seems to work!)
Today, we were at baby group for his morning nap, and at Costco in the afternoon, so the first nap was this afternoon and lasted 2 1/2 hours, and currently he's been sleeping for 1 hour. I'm not planning on having him in there at night quite yet, since he eats so often...but you just never know, I might try it sooner than I think!!!
These pictures are from the very first time sleeping in there yesterday...not the greatest, but I was so worried I'd wake him up...so I only took 2 and got the heck out of there!!!
(and yes, that blanket and teddy at the ends will come out of there, I'm aware it's not safe, but at this moment in time, he doesn't move!)

1 comment:

  1. He looks so cute wrapped up in his crib, hope the sleeping in the crib things continues to go well for you :)

    ReplyDelete